Health Screenings, find out how healthy you really are
March 1, 2016
Let's talk about depression
August 1, 2016
Getting the most out of the Holidays
December 3, 2017
Although we all wish that the holiday season was full of never ending fun and jolliness it is not uncommon to feel unusually stressed, catch a cold, have a stomach ache, or feel blue after all the hustle and bustle that characterizes the holidays. There are ways these and some other common seasonal complications can be managed, or better yet avoided all together.
The Center for Disease Control has compiled a list of healthy tips and we have added our own suggestions to help you enjoy this very special time:
1) Set as a priority to cherish the company of others. Try not to focus on presents and other material things, the most important thing is to spend some quality time with those that you care about. It is also important to catch a break and take some time for yourself.
2) Get your flu shot and practice hand hygiene.
3) Wear appropriate clothing to stay warm during the cooler Florida nights.
4) Eat healthy and stay active. It is ok to splurge for a personal favorite dish, but don't make it a habit. Sample dishes that you like, practicing portion control. Work for your treats, in other words, if planning to go to a party where food will be abundant schedule a fitness activity prior to the event in order to be able to 'afford' the calories.
5) Don't drink and drive. Follow extra precautions when planning a road trip and stay alert, do not get distracted. Plan ahead for holiday traffic!